Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First Cake

I finished my first cake last night. We made a rainbow cake, which was blue with a star patterned rainbow on top. It had a star border and ugly clouds.

We got to the class and used the demo table because the room was packed. So next week we're getting there early so we can claim that table again, it was perfect. I picked up the practice techniques quickly, which was great because I was worried that I wouldn't do so well on the writing and the stars (which is what we practiced).
We did a piping gel transfer of the rainbow pattern on the cake that we brought with us, pre-iced with thin consistency blue buttercream icing (nice and crusty). All we got around to was drawing out the lines of the rainbow with our tip #3. I was disappointed because I thought we'd have more time, but I think our instructor just moves slowly so that EVERYONE understands what they're doing. That's great, except that my mom and I are quick learners and want to get down to business!

I brought it home and finished it right away, which only took about 10 minutes. I accidentally made my star border too small, but that's ok because it still looks nice.

So, here's my first cake!So that is the cake. But then, I remembered that Art wanted the cake to be for him... so I went and used my thin icing which had some piping gel mixed in, and wrote a little message on the cake for him. I filled in the heart with leftover red from the rainbow.
I'm really proud of my happy little cake. It's actually not little at all:

CAKE DETAILS:
*yellow cake mix baked in a 3" deep, 8" pan. Baked it with some homemade even-bake strips around it so it came all the way to the top. Leveled it, then torted it. Filled with Almond cake filling (found a can of it at Albertsons, it was weird though because the flavors available were kind of grody).
*Buttercream icing was made with 1/2 tsp of almond flavoring, 1/4 tsp butter flavoring, 1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring. It was REALLY almondy. Mom hated the smell of it in class. Next time I think I'm going to make it more buttery flavored with a little vanilla.

Cutting into it tonight, hopefully it tastes great!

No comments: